Hurricanes are named alphabetically from a predetermined list beginning the letter “A” through “W”, excluding names that begin with “Q” or “U.”
A storm is first named by the National Hurricane Center when the system becomes a tropical storm and the name remains as it develops into a hurricane or until it dissipates.
The most devastating hurricane names are retired and another name replaces it.
2020 Atlantic Tropical Storm / Hurricane Names:
2020 National Hurricane Center Atlantic Tropical Cyclone Reports:
NOTE: Cycle Reports will be posted after hurricane season, typically late spring the following year
- 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Names
- Hurricane Preparedness: Before a Hurricane
- Hurricane Preparedness: Durring a Hurricane
- Hurricane Preparedness: After a Hurricane
- Know The Hurricane Hazard Terms
- About the National Hurricane Center
- Sign-up to Receive Real-time “Tropical Weather” Email & Text Message Alerts