Hurricanes are named alphabetically from a predetermined list beginning the letter “A” through “W”, excluding names that begin with “Q” or “U.”
A storm is first named by the National Hurricane Center when the system becomes a tropical storm and the name remains as it develops into a hurricane or until it dissipates.
The most devastating hurricane names are retired and another name replaces it.
2009 Hurricane Names:
2009 National Hurricane Center Tropical Cyclone Reports:
- Tropical Depression One – MSWord
- Tropical Storm Ana – MSWord
- Hurricane Bill – MSWord
- Tropical Storm Claudette – MSWord
- Tropical Storm Danny – MSWord
- Tropical Storm Erika – MSWord
- Hurricane Fred – MSWord
- Tropical Depression Eight – MSWord
- Tropical Storm Grace – MSWord
- Tropical Storm Henri – MSWord
- Hurricane Ida – MSWord